Saturday, March 26, 2011

January Continued

When I was growing up my Grandparents lived in a small town in Montana. Steve's Grandparents lived in the same town for many years. I remember visits that included seeing The Christensens. Steve Grandparents have been a part of my life for many years before my Mrs. Smith years. I was very sad in January when Grandpa "Jack" died. We were fortunate enough to con Penny into watching the girls for 4 days so that Steve and I both could go to Washington for his funeral. So much family gathered to say good bye to one of the most loved men I have ever known. It was a beautiful service. The burial was humorous in a way that is irreverent but so memorable! We were so luck to have such an amazing man pray for us every night, by name along with the other 64 of his grandchildren. We miss Grandpa but we know he's playing tricks from the other side now.




 A beautiful hand crafted casket for Grandpa


This is Reed and Lora aka Homer and Wart

It was SO cold in Washington!


The Smith kids who could make it-Steve, Rob, Lora, Reed, Ron and Kelli

Spouses and Little man Bryson


And then things start to get interesting...


Brian had to go get the tractor to plow a path for the truck to lower the cement vault containing the casket into the ground



What's that?? The hole isn't big enough? Grandpa was for sure laughing at this because he was not a tall man, and the fact that he was to big for something was just classic. It was dug my hand and the shovels were still on site, so a few of the grandsons dug and dug  and dug until finally the vault fit


And then they got to cover it up. I have to say this isn't your traditional grave side but it was very classic of grandpa and his posterity, working hard and enjoying the work you do.

And in the end, on this beautiful country, road side cemetery, is the perfect spot for
Anton Robert Christensen.
We love you and miss you Grandpa!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I loved this post. I should cut and paste it to my blog :)